SUPERVISES: Assistant District Superintendent and district operating personnel
OBJECTIVES: To assure the operation and maintenance of the district electrical system is performed in a safe, efficient, and reliable manner to meet or exceed member expectations while maintaining a positive morale and team spirit among all district employees
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assures the safe and efficient daily operation and maintenance of the district electrical system in accordance with all organizational, board, construction and safety policies. This includes, but is not limited to, performing routine, documented Job Site Safety Observations, Safety related Dispatch Instructions, strong participation in Safety meetings both Company wide as well as District specific, and addresses any safety violations or other deficiencies in an appropriate manner.
2. Demonstrates a positive work ethic and sets an example for other employees to follow in teamwork, service excellence, and job safety.
3. Supervises, plans, and assigns all district transmission and distribution work while setting the appropriate system priorities.
4. Promotes, develops, and maintains good morale and team spirit by appropriate delegation, coaching and counseling, performance appraisals and recognition of achievements, effective training, and safety meetings.
5. Ensures that employees in their district are properly trained in accordance with the qualifications and requirements of their position descriptions. Arranges for district personnel to participate in applicable training programs. Offers other training recommendations based on employee skills and interests.
6. Perform 24/7 “on-call” duty assignments as a condition of employment when scheduled and/or required, which is required to maintain continuity of service. Support other on-call superintendents when requested.
7. Supervises receiving and distribution of material.
8. Prepares required operating reports.
9. Assists the Safety Director with investigations of employee accidents, injuries, near misses and possible property damage claims.
10. Verifies completed construction and maintenance for workmanship, cost, and conformity to required specifications.
11. Reviews Work Order estimates.
12. In conjunction with the Forestry Manager, schedules ROW clearing by contract crews.
13. Handles member concerns, requests, and inquiries.
14. Assures proper maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
15. Attends training, conferences and meetings that will provide additional knowledge in the areas of leadership, managing others, updated technical skills, and other recommended topics for personal development and the ongoing improvement of the organization.
16. Understands the importance of, and agrees to, representing Citizens Electric Corporation in a professional and positive manner in all settings and times.
17. All other duties as assigned.
CITIZENS ELECTRIC CORPORATION SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT
Five to seven years in electric utility operations with at least two years in a supervisory position.
High school graduate. College courses in or related to electrical technology are preferred. Management or leadership training preferred.
Must understand all functions of a distribution and transmission system including: a thorough knowledge of RUS construction specifications and operational materials, understands field staking and surveying, and has a strong understanding of employment law and compliance.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS: Requires the ability to lead and coordinate a variety of people in different roles including: the ability to schedule and communicate effectively and positively with work crews, other employees, members, and outside organizations. Must be able to interpret required construction specifications utilizing strong math and computer skills. Requires the ability to quickly identify problems and efficiently solve them within the organizations policies, legal requirements and with good ethical judgement.
Works in the office and in the field. Must work overtime as required. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Due to civil and community development and emergency response time, the company preference is that the person fulfilling this position live within the district in which he/she reports. However, under no circumstances shall the person live more than 30 minutes drive time from his/her reporting office.