Jemez Mountains Electric Cooperative, Inc., (JMEC) is accepting applications for the position of General Manager. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse membership as well as team members and employees. The candidate must have strong business insight with an ability to grasp complex industry specific and general business practices and their impact on the membership. The General Manager reports to an eleven (11) member Board of Trustees and will supervise the management staff.
Essential Functions/Job Duties:
· Must understand the relationship between a Board of Trustees and the General Manager, and between the Cooperative and its members and customers.
· Must understand the electrical distribution system, and substation and transmission system design and operation.
· Ensure that all consumers within service area desiring electric service are provided a safe, ample and reliable supply of electricity at the lowest cost consistent with the highest standards of service and sound business practices.
· Ability to develop an organization and staff it with personnel qualified to manage the Cooperative effectively and efficiently in accordance with the objectives and policies established by the Board of Trustees.
· Inform, advise, assist, and make timely, well defined recommendations to the Board of Trustees that will ensure a strong physical and financial system, and a customer-friendly organization. Specifically, to recommend to the Board short- and long-term financial and operating goals; capital plans and budgets; annual plans and budgets; and strategies, plans, programs, and policies.
· Serve as the Cooperative’s principal spokesperson, representative, and negotiator, and establish positive relationships with members/customers, individual employees, union, lending institutions, industry associations, legislative bodies, community leaders, civic and community organizations, governmental agencies and regulatory authorities, the media and the general public in order to garner support for the Cooperative. Participate in and provide support to efforts which contribute to our area’s economic/industrial development and a higher quality of life for members/customers.
· Direct the day-to-day operations of the Cooperative, including the deployment and utilization of the Cooperative’s financial, physical, technical, and human resources in the most efficient and effective manner. Ensure that Cooperative business transactions and operations are carried out in compliance with industry and environmental standards, and all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
Job Requirements and Experience:
Experience in progressively responsible positions at the senior management level.
Experience in the electric industry at a senior management level is preferred.
The General Manager will be required to reside within a 50-mile radius of the main headquarters located in Hernandez, New Mexico.
· Understanding of the electric cooperative business model and principles is critical.
· Knowledge in the areas of strategic planning, board relations, finance, rate issues, distribution system planning/operations and member/consumer relations required.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must.
Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively handle competing priorities, and complete them in a timely manner.
Must have the ability to work as part of a team.
Must be able to develop and deliver verbal and written presentations of complex materials to employees, consumers and the Board of Trustees.
JMEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, along with a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on the position please contact Dwight Herrera, Director of Human Resources.
Additional Salary Information: JMEC offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, along with a comprehensive benefits package.