To exercise authority to achieve the objectives and responsibilities to include the following:
1. Provide leadership in finance & accounting. Responsible for supervision of accounting, billing and human resource personnel & functions, in accordance with policies.
2. Maintain the cooperative's overall accounting system while complying with all Federal and State guidelines and regulations, and Board policies. Strive towards using the IVUE system to the fullest extent of its' capabilities.
3. Accurately prepare monthly and annual financial information on a timely basis. Present financial reports to the Board monthly. Assess overall financial condition of the Cooperative.
4. Prepare and present the Annual Budget and 10-year financial forecast to the Board and Management every year. Assist with preparation of departmental budgets.
5. Manage Property and Liability Insurance, Equity and CFC and CoBank Loan Fund Status for the Cooperative. Maintain all loan fund records and request funds
6. Oversee the employee benefit programs including retirement, savings and health insurance. Assist HR Specialist with employee benefit programs.
7. Accept responsibilities of hiring, discharging, and disciplining employees, in accordance with Cooperative policy. Direct the work of accounting, finance, billing and human resources. Accept responsibility for the overall operation of these areas.
8. Accept overall responsibility for the development, evaluation, training, and preparation of personnel for advancement within the Accounting/Billing/HR Departments.
9. Assure that all Accounting/Billing personnel understand and perform their responsibilities. Retain overall accountability for their job functions.
10. Conduct performance appraisals for employees and make recommendations to the GM/EVP regarding wage adjustments.
11. Work with consultants, auditors, contractors, etc., by providing the necessary information, reports, and records. Also manage the external cost of service/rate studies.
12. Assist the HR Specialist and Accountant with workers' comp. claims and program.
13. Develop a thorough knowledge of the cooperative's policies.
14. Participate in staff meetings.
15. Maintain confidentiality.
16. Prepare and file monthly and yearly state and federal tax returns.
17. Assist Auditor with federal and state property tax returns.
18. Prepare financial reports- Daviess-Martin REMC Community Fund (Oper Round-Up)
19. Complete all other duties as assigned.
20. Manage vault storage, filing, scanning and document retention.
II. REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
A. Reports to: Manager/Exec. VP
B. Directs: Accountant; Senior Billing Representative; HR Specialist
C. Coordinates or Cooperates with:
a. All employees
a. Members - providing helpful, courteous assistance and service.
b. General Public - presenting a friendly, courteous image for the cooperative
j. State and Federal Agencies
The Director of Finance and Accounting shall have full authority to carry out these responsibilities in conformity with established policies and procedures.
IV. POSITION SPECIFICATIONS
A. Fair Labor Standards Act Provisions
The position of Director of Finance and Accounting is an exempt position under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
B. Personal Requirements of Position
1. Education A bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is preferred but not required.
2. Experience/Knowledge Knowledge of accounting principles, a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, analytical skills, and strong organizational, planning and direction skills is required. Must motivate and encourage team members and have knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, plant accounting, payroll, human resources, financial reporting, budget planning and forecasting. Required to multi-task, be detail-oriented and be able to learn and implement new technology. Essential computer skills include competency in word processing, spreadsheets and exposure to IVUE.
3. Attitude Interested in helping/training members and other employees. Maturely manages stressful situations.
4. Personal Characteristics Able to perform the position of Director of Finance & Accounting competently, following a training period of not to exceed six ( 6) months. Requires a team-oriented individual with leadership skills, professionalism, high integrity and regular attendance at work. Individual must be friendly, adjust to different personalities and gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside of the organization.
5. Abilities Necessary motor skills to operate a computer/work station and other equipment.
6. Physical Characteristics Limited physical effort with some lifting or small physical exertion.
7. Physical Characteristics Work is generally performed in an office environment.
About Daviess-Martin County REMC
Hoosier Energy is a generation and transmission cooperative serving 18 member electric cooperatives in central and southern Indiana and southeastern Illinois.