Network Technician Central Rural Electric Cooperative
Exhibiting stewardship for the cooperative, the Network Technician professionally represents the Fiber area by being responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of all outside plant, network access equipment and customer premise equipment to meet and exceed all demands placed on the network. The Network Technician will work with other departments to achieve operational goals.
The core values represent the code of conduct required of every employee to ensure a higher standard of performance and cooperation is demonstrated and maintained throughout the cooperative.
· Safety First - It is our responsibility to educate and protect ourselves, coworkers, members, and the public from hazards exposed by the nature of our work.
· Purpose Driven – We believe that safe, affordable, and reliable electricity is the foundation of our communities and has the power to transform lives.
· Dedicated to Serve – We make every decision and measure every outcome based on how well it serves our members.
· Respectful Engagement – We listen to one another and embrace diverse opinions, tactful honesty, and authentic integrity.
· Servant Leadership – We look for ways to help each other grow through collaboration and teamwork. Above all, we treat others with the respect, compassion, and equality they deserve.
· Results Oriented – We follow through on commitments and show forward progress.
Core Responsibilities The duties and responsibilities described below are the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be all inclusive for this position.
· Assist with Customer Premise Equipment installation at customer/subscriber’s homes and businesses
· Maintenance, support, upgrade, installation and troubleshooting of network equipment, cables and fiber in Fiber huts, customer homes and businesses.
· Work with contractors to assist in Fiber hut equipment installation, maintenance, fiber install and termination
· Assist the Network Engineer with configuring and troubleshooting of network equipment in fiber huts, customer homes and businesses.
· Provide basic training and assistance for customers on features of software, hardware, and device setup
· Participate in on-call duties, standby support during outside business hours and weekends as needed
· Provide initial support for IT Work Order Requests related to network, computer, mobile devices, peripheral devices, phone, printer/scanner, fax. and software issues
· Assist in the general maintenance of workstations/offices, mobile devices, and department equipment
· Participate in educational opportunities to stay informed about developments in technology that may aid in the function of the department and the Cooperative
Classification · Non-Exempt
· Reports to the President of Fiber & Technology
· Decisions and duties have a moderate impact on the organization. Work requires a high degree of responsibility for information, technology and/or equipment.
· Position has no formal supervisory responsibility for the work of others.
Qualifications A successful candidate must believe in the core values of the cooperative and be driven by the mission. The qualifications below represent the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific requirements and competencies include:
· Solid Educational Background – Associates degree in IT, computer science or related field required; At least 1 year of related experience required which may include: Experience in computer maintenance and support, experience with various software and hardware, IT/ Network maintenance and support, network Layer 1, Layer 2 support and troubleshooting, fiber installation and maintenance
· Cisco, Juniper certifications preferred
· Windows Server, Linux, LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, VoIP preferred
Working knowledge and understanding of Cisco and/or Juniper networking equipment, such as routers, switches, telephony, and security devices-IOS Working knowledge and understanding of broadband and fiber technologies, including but not limited to IPTV, GPON; fiber connections related to the plant and outside the plant in a field setting Common network and network management protocols. Ability to solve complex network problems independently, quickly, and completely. Communicate clearly and effectively with customers, peers, supervisor, and other department members through verbal and written communication. Strong organizational skills with exceptional follow though and attention to detail Exceptional customer interaction skills and professionalism Ability to accurately communicate moderately complex technical information, ideas, and results in both oral and written form Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism in safeguarding confidential data Must have and maintain a valid Oklahoma Driver’s License. Analytical Skills – collects and researches data, identifies data relationships and dependencies Communication - Expresses ideas and thoughts both verbal and written, exhibits good listening and comprehension, keeps others adequately informed and selects and uses appropriate communication methods. Customer Service – Displays courtesy and sensitivity, manages difficult or emotional customer situations, meets commitments, responds promptly to customer needs, and solicits customer feedback to improve service. Excellent Problem Solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, resolves problems in early stages and works well in group problem solving situations Initiative – Volunteers readily, undertakes self-development activities, seeks increased responsibilities, takes independent actions and calculated risks, looks for and takes advantage of opportunities and asks for help when needed. Self-Management - Regulates impact of own emotions upon others, remains focused and energized under stress, accepts criticism, and recovers quickly from setbacks, projects realistic self confidence in abilities. Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills, adapts to new technologies, troubleshoots technological problems, uses technology to increase productivity and keeps technical skills up to date. Working Conditions
Work Environment Frequent exposure to one or more hazardous conditions, such as working in the outdoor elements handling electrified material and operating potentially dangerous equipment
Work Hazards Daily exposure to various voltages and amperages
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel or crouch and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee frequently drives company vehicles. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.