This position reports to the Assistant Controller. Duties include the application of the principles of accounting to provide financial, administrative, and clerical support to the organization by performing the duties summarized below. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time by Co-op Management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Handling sensitive information with honesty and integrity and protecting organizational values by keeping the information confidential.
2. Abiding by all company procedures, accounting procedures, accounting controls, and accounting principles. Striving to continuously help update, identify, establish, document, and implement accounting procedures and controls.
3. Gaining a working knowledge of the organization’s chart of accounts to expedite the proper recording of financial transactions.
4. Controlling expenses and maintaining up to date vendor information by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying vendor account information (such as address and federal tax id number); verifying invoice authenticity and totals; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; verifying /calculating necessary taxes; and insuring credit is received on any outstanding memos.
5. Reconciling and maintaining up to date member accounts receivable records by preparing invoices; posting payments; verifying information and payments; researching member discrepancies; managing credits; and following up on past due accounts.
6. Assisting with payroll tasks including but not limited to collecting and verifying time sheets; entering time into spreadsheets and/or the payroll system; and maintaining a payroll deduction spreadsheet.
7. Reconciling and monitoring monthly bank account statements while maintaining internal controls by verifying information for accuracy, investigating discrepancies, and preparing monthly reports.
8. Verifying, calculating, classifying, computing, scheduling, recording, and posting daily financial transactions in an organized, efficient, and timely manner. DocuSign Envelope ID: EBED80FC-B3CE-4462-B55A-5B725C01E24D
9. Reconciling processed work with monthly vendor statements and comparing daily entries with system reports.
10. Performing basic office tasks such as data entry, answering phones, processing mail, filing, research, and fact checking, as necessary.
11. Handling communications with vendors, members, and employees by appropriately responding via mail, phone, email or in person.
12. Developing and maintaining relevant spreadsheets and ensuring complete and accurate financial records.
13. Assisting with audits and offering suggestions for streamlining tasks within the job description.
14. Continuing to build job relevant knowledge by participating in educational opportunities or by taking on additional tasks or projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES None.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Be proficient in the application of GAAP and accounting principles.
2. Perform all duties in a professional manner with a strong ethical code.
3. Exhibit a high level of efficiency, accuracy, and responsibility.
4. Possess hands on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software.
5. Exhibit exceptional time management skills with the ability to multitask and stay motivated.
6. Previous customer service experience is desired.
7. Must possess a working knowledge of personal computers, mainframe computers, and general office equipment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associates Degree (AA/AS) in accounting or related field from a two-year college or university; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to management. DocuSign Envelope ID: EBED80FC-B3CE-4462-B55A-5B725C01E24D
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The majority of the duties required for this position will be performed in an office environment. However, some duties may require occasionally exposure to outdoor type elements. Extreme emergencies at the co-op may require irregular work hours in a moderately hazardous work environment with various weather conditions. The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
About Presque Isle Electric & Gas
Presque Isle Electric & Gas Co-op, a not for profit, electric and natural gas distribution utility providing service to nearly 50,000 meters in 9 counties in Northeast Michigan and headquartered in Onaway, Michigan.