This position is responsible for the efficient and cost-effective acquisition of materials, equipment, services and supplies for the Cooperative; selects vendors and develops bid documents; ensures compliance with board policies and procedures for large material purchases, equipment, vehicles, alliances and long term agreements; researches new suppliers.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
2 Year / Associate Degree
accounting, business, inventory control, purchasing, supply management, or related field.
Four (4) years progressive responsible experience in purchasing or supply chain with an electric utility company.
Experience with contract preparation, administration, and execution.
Education and/or Experience Notes
Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment, ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office products with efficiency in Word and Excel applications; ability to acquire skill and use of applicable corporate software/computer systems for material inventory and management.
Demonstrated listening, verbal and written communication skills; to accurately prepare all types of office correspondence, design and produce reports; effective planning and organizational skills with excellent documentation and detail orientation; ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines and work independently and in a team environment.
Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with managers, employees, vendors, subcontractors, government agencies and others; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
Knowledge of purchasing procedures, bidding, inventory control and accounting principles; ability to acquire knowledge of RUS and SECO specifications, attachments and allowed modifications. Knowledge of materials used in line construction preferred.
Effective negotiation skills and ability to create and execute purchase orders and pricing methods; accurate quantity and quality descriptions; shipping methods and substitution procedures.
Math skills to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, percentages, etc.
English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification: The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
· Procure materials, services, equipment and supplies necessary for the construction and maintenance of cooperative facilities consistent with quality requirements, reliability of source and urgency of time.
o Ensure materials conform to RUS and SECO specifications.
o Monitor lead time and price trends to ensure materials are available when required and are obtain at the most economical cost.
· Establish/maintain professional relationships with suppliers/partners, based on the highest ethical business practices.
· Administer the purchasing process from specification/definition of need through contract administration; utilize the most strategic sourcing method to acquire the necessary materials at the lowest cost.
· Work with other commodity buyers and various departments to ensure compliance with board policy regarding bids and contracts for purchase.
· Analyze market trends, interview vendors, and recommend sources of study; analyze quotes received, select, or recommend suppliers and schedule deliveries.
· Arrange with vendors for replacement of defective items purchased.
· Assist with disposal of salvage, surplus materials and equipment as needed.
· Evaluate new suppliers on the basis of service and capability; research new products and advise appropriate personnel of findings.
· Coordinate the flow of documents and the expediting of orders that are due; follow up on product control and advise appropriate management personnel of shortages.
· Monitor periodicals and other sources of information related to market conditions and labor trends to assist in establishing or updating policies that will ensure the continuity of supply of materials and equipment.
· Participate in the development and execution of negotiation strategies related to service contracts, work with the Supply organization to identify and incorporate appropriate levels of commercial protection and conduct negotiations to achieve the optimal business results for the company.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment for this position is general office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
About Seco Energy
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric cooperative serving over 210,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the seventh largest in the nation.
In both 2017 and 2016, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Cooperatives” in the J.D. Power Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction Study. In 2015, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Midsize Utilities in the South” by J.D. Power. SECO refers to the three consecutive awards as its “Triple Crown,” and we are grateful to our members for ranking us #1!