This position ensures the stable operations of the consumer accounting, the billing and meter reading functions/revenue recovery activities; assists with the oversite of the Cooperative’s customer information system, utilities records management; and the timely monthly energy billing; assists with the coordination of registration activities for all District and Annual Meetings; and assists with the preparation of the annual revenue budget projections.
This position has responsibility for the direction, coordination and evaluation of employees in the consumer accounting and meter reading and revenue recovery unit. This person is expected to perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Address, document and resolve customer issues in a timely manner.
· Oversee consumer accounting activities including billing, meter reading, advanced metering infrastructure, bill payments activities, collection activities and operation of the customer information system.
· Assist with the District and Annual Meeting registration activities and preparation of reports, as needed.
· Oversee compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures relating to billing, accounts receivable and meter reading.
· Oversee the timely and accurate processing of meter reading activities for the timely processing of customer utility bills
· Generate periodic reports and perform month end and year end processes.
· Oversee operations of computerized utility billing system; set up and maintain accounts receivable codes, revenue codes; contacts software vendor regarding program change requests, errors, etc.
· Assist with maintaining the customer information filing system to provide accurate and efficient storage and retrieval of customer records, including imaging and/or archiving of utility documents; ensures compliance with retention guidelines and timeframes pertaining to utility documents.
· Oversee the new service activation process.
· Oversee the work of the Revenue Recovery unit’s activities such as the resolution of collection and account settlement on delinquent electric energy accounts and assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures relative to the cooperative’s credit and collection program.
· Assist with customer account maintenance such as set up, change, delete, bank draft, e-bill, budget billing, address changes etc.
· Produce month end revenue reports and KWH usage for use in reporting financial condition, cost of service studies and budget development.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
Business Management, Accounting or closely related major
Five years related work experience in a progressively responsible position that includes utility accounting, accounts receivable, billing, collections and budget administration.
Three years directing the work of others.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Education and/or Experience Notes
Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Occasional business travel may be required.
Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures; thorough working knowledge of consumer accounting and accounts receivable systems, budgeting and forecasting, Thorough understanding of the state of Florida Public Service Commission energy rate regulations.
Knowledge of computerized utility billing systems including rate composition and calculations; ability to implement and test modifications including rates, taxes, etc.; knowledge of electronic meter reading equipment and automated meter reading devices. Working knowledge of the cost of service and retail rate design studies is highly desirable.
Knowledge of MS Office Suite, billing and consumer accounting systems ability to acquire skills in the use of applicable corporate accounting and customer information systems.
Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; trends and requirements, technology and information that may affect the consumer accounting unit, the cooperative or electric utilities in general.
Effective leadership skills with ability to make and implement sound decisions; demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills and time management; detail oriented; analytical and process management skills; demonstrated change management aptitude and ability.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with government agencies, management, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and others; ability to make presentations, prepare reports, business correspondence, procedures, and training manuals.
Ability to acquire general knowledge of an electrical distribution cooperative and RUS requirements as pertains to the position, membership and registration procedures for district and annual meetings.
Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to manage multiple priorities calmly and effectively in all situations.
English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
About SECO Energy
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric cooperative serving over 210,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the seventh largest in the nation.
In both 2017 and 2016, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Cooperatives” in the J.D. Power Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction Study. In 2015, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Midsize Utilities in the South” by J.D. Power. SECO refers to the three consecutive awards as its “Triple Crown,” and we are grateful to our members for ranking us #1!