Reports Directly to: Manager of Communications Services
Directs: Customer Services Representative, Senior Customer Services Representative and Assigned Personnel, as directed
FLSA Status: Exempt
The position of Customer Services Supervisor is one of high responsibility for reliable, economical customer services and satisfaction. The Customer Services Supervisor must have demonstrated leadership quality, thorough working knowledge of all aspects of service to the customers and general public relations. A Customer Services Supervisor has mastered the performance of all customer service positions, including the Essential Functions of a Senior Customer Services Representative.
A Customer Services Supervisor performs the functions of customer relations which may include, but are not limited to, supervising and developing personnel, allocating resources, developing, conducting, and monitoring BEC Communications customer activities such as billing, customer services, and new accounts in accordance with established policies, plans and objectives of BEC.
A Customer Services Representative assists with the BEC Annual Meeting, customer meetings and other special project assignments.
A Customer Services Supervisor will train, coach and supervise, both directly and indirectly, all aspects of routine and non-routine customer services. The Customer Services Supervisor ensures that work performed by subordinates is completed in an accurate, professional manner and sets an example for others of courteous, productive work procedures.
Essential Functions of Position:
Principally works indoors in an office setting.
Must possess and maintain the ability to:
Respond in a positive manner to supervision.
Work as a cooperative member of a team.
Interact in a professional and courteous manner with co-workers and customers.
Successfully work within deadlines and time constraints.
Correctly operates a laptop and desktop computer and programs/systems used.
4. Must possess knowledge of, or demonstrate the ability to learn, various computer applications, including BEC’s design software and customer information and work order system. This includes Microsoft Office spreadsheets and word processing.
Accurately and legibly completes all documentation (computerized timecards, etc.) in accordance with BEC policies and procedures and submits such documentation to the proper individuals for recordkeeping purposes.
6. Directs, supervises and develops Customer Service personnel and their duties including in-house collections, enforcing BEC Tariffs and company/board policies, bank drafts, budget billing, adjustments and corrections, new service requests, service orders, returned checks, outage reporting, equipment records, and delinquents.
7. Approves time and expense sheets for Customer Service personnel ensuring that all time is charged accurately. Authorizes and approves.
8. Responds to member complaints and concerns that cannot be resolved by other Customer Service personnel.
9. Assists, as needed, with daily activities such as member inquiries, payments, connects, and works with the Accounting Department to verify daily cash drawers and deposits.
10. Is responsible for monthly closing, balancing of billing and prepares monthly billing reports for Accounting and Board Reports.
11. Processes capital credit allocations in coordination with Accounting Supervisor.
12. Participates in data collection for consumer-related board reports, which may include external member and RUS-mandated compliance surveys.
13. Plans and budgets for the Customer Services Department.
14. Attends, participates in and may lead monthly supervisor meetings.
15. Schedules and holds at least monthly staff meetings with Customer Services personnel.
16. Effectively communicates and executes the directives of the Manager of Communications Services and General Manager/CEO.
17. Effectively communicates Board Meeting goals and objectives.
18. Develops, communicates and reports on goals and objectives of the Customer Services Department.
19. Develops and supervises monthly procedures to maintain accurate billing data and using ERP software.
20. Monitors and functions as a point of contact for collection procedures and uncollectable accounts with outside collection agency.
21. Assists in preparations for and attends the Annual Membership Meeting and any other meetings.
22. Functions as a Notary Public for BEC.
23. Must be well-organized in work and department.
24. Operates all coop equipment in accordance with BEC policies and procedures, safety rules, manufacturer guidelines, and regulations and/or codes and seeks input from the Customer Services Supervisor when information is unclear, inadequate or requires interpretation.
25. Plans the work of the individual assignment, as directed, so that it can be done safely, properly, orderly, and as economically as possible.
26. Subject to travel intra/interstate, as necessary, for training, meetings, job duties, or to provide assistance to other electric cooperatives.
27. Complies with all BEC policies, procedures and safety rules as they apply to the Customer Services Department, and recommends to fellow workers the use and practice of the same.
28. This position is subject to working additional time beyond normal working hours, including evenings, late nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed in emergency situations.
Maintains good working relations with co-workers, BEC Communications customers and the general public.
2. Represents BEC by attending schools/seminars/meetings for improvement of job knowledge and skills, when requested.
3. Continually explores new ideas to enhance job performance, efficiency, productivity, and work relations. Communicates these ideas to the Manager of Communications Services or designee.
4. Performs other duties as may be assigned by Manager of Communications Services or designee.
Experience, Training, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must maintain professional knowledge of all issues relating to member services and maintain the desire to improve industry knowledge by attending webinars, seminars, etc.
Must maintain knowledge of BEC policies related to duties of the position.
Ability to travel instar/inter-state, as necessary, for training purposes, meetings, or to provide assistance to other electric cooperatives, as required.
Must be able to deal with customers, the general public and fellow employees in a professional, friendly and courteous manner.
Ability to motivate, direct, supervise, train, and coach subordinates.
Ability to move about and within an office building and on various terrains.
Ability to frequently stand and/or walk and sit for extended periods of time.
Ability to perform manual and detailed hand work using both hands, sometimes repetitively, in order to operate office equipment.
Ability to lift and/or move a box of copy paper weighing approximately 40 pounds.
Ability to perform essential functions that require frequent, prolonged viewing and use of computer monitor, keyboard and mouse for extended periods of time.
Ability to speak and hear clearly in order to communicate.
Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently, both orally and in writing, with a diverse group of people and personalities. Requires a high degree of interpersonal skills.
Ability to be tactful and get along with diverse groups of people and personalities. Capable of conveying a positive and professional image.
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, even simultaneously, as well as coordinate projects with other employees working to consistently meet deadlines and budgets.
Ability to listen to and read instructions and other paperwork.
Ability to use judgement and reasoning skills to perform the Essential Functions of the Position.
Ability to speak, hear, understand, and communicate in English. Bilingual/Spanish fluency a plus.
Must have good math and computer skills.
Ability to use office equipment including the computer and all relevant software, 10-key calculator, typewriter, fax machine, copier, phone system and various other types of business machines as required to do this job.
Must be able to perform required duties during extended hours in emergency situations.
Ability to handle cash quickly and accurately.
Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position.
Ability to safeguard confidential information.
Ability to organize and effectively convey information and materials to assist customers.
The fully competent incumbent must possess the following knowledge:
Cooperative policies, tariffs and procedures relating to service, payment and rates, connection/disconnection, and other issues dealt with on a frequent basis.
Principles and practices of good customer service especially those having to do with conflict resolution and dealing with irate customers.
Knowledge of safety issues affecting office workers.
Must have a working knowledge of general office practices and all administrative sections.
Must have proficient knowledge of the cooperative’s billing/CIS software and assist Accounting Department with reconciliations to the General Ledger.
Three (3) years’ experience in customer service with an electric cooperative or utility preferred.
Experience in all aspects of customer service to include proper and courteous phone, face-to-face and written communication.
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred, but work experience may substitute for degree.
Valid Texas Driver’s license and an acceptable driving history.
Must be eligible to be and remain insured as a driver by the Cooperative’s group liability policy for the automotive fleet.
NRECA certified in supervision and/or management. Must obtain within three (3) years of appointment of position.
This Position Description is intended to identify the essential functions of a position and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. The employee may be required to perform or assume additional position-related responsibilities other than those stated in this description.
BEC reserves the right to revise or change the position responsibilities as the need arises. This Position Description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. The time frames mentioned for successful accomplishment of training phases are for illustrative purposes only and should not be construed as an implied contract of employment for any amount of time.