Position open untill filled.
This position is responsible for performing duties required in the commissioning, inspection, maintenance and repair of distribution protective, regulatory, switching and communication systems associated with the grid infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute all power quality initiatives, implement and maintain a predictive maintenance approach
- Provide support and technical knowledge for capital improvement projects
- Execute a condition based maintenance program for all distribution equipment
- Perform equipment maintenance cycles based on manufacturers’ recommendations and industry best practices, including Voltage Regulators, Reclosers, Switchgear and Capacitors
- Conduct equipment inspections on voltage regulators, capacitors, reclosers, sectionalizes and switches
- Perform minor in-house repairs on voltage regulators, i.e., gasket replacements
- Collect fluid quality oil samples and conduct dissolved gas analysis to determine operating status of equipment
- Execute an annual inspection program for voltage regulators, capacitors, reclosers, sectionalizes, switches and other key equipment
- Properly collect dissolved gas analysis, fluid quality oil samples and perform inspections for corrective action
- Conduct specialized equipment testing, transformer turns ratio, digital low resistance ohmmeter, fluid dielectric tests, power factor, winding resistance, sweep frequency response analysis, infra-red analysis.
- Conduct electrical testing, including transformer turns ratio, digital low resistance ohmmeter, fluid dialectic tests, power factor, winding resistance, sweep frequency response analysis, etc.
- Ability to Interpret test results and make maintenance/repair recommendations.
- Provide technical support to grid modernization initiatives
- Follow commissioning and testing protocols for feeder automation and self healing networks
- Execute power quality programs and assist in resolution of power quality related issues across the Cooperative
- Carry out programs to achieve long range goals that support the Cooperative’s Strategic Plan
- Provide technical expertise regarding device operations including microprocessor controls, battery chargers, line device recorders, etc.
- Manage duties and responsibilities within the Cooperative‘s annual financial goals
- Ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines and proper procedures
- Adhere to corporate and departmental policies, procedures and service standards in conjunction
- Follow work procedures and company policies
- Carry out operating procedures
- Execute work priorities and activities
- Coordinate activities with other departments
- Maintain the security of confidential information
- Stay abreast of advances in technology
- Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business and management principles including strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and budgeting
- Knowledge of using computer systems, which may include setting up and using hardware and software programs, programming relay elements, programming DNP for remote operated equipment, entering data or processing inspection information
- Knowledge of principles of electricity, safety practices and codes
- Knowledge of electric power industry construction, regulatory and switching standards
- Knowledge of testing equipment including uF meter, RND meter, Hi-pot, Meg-Ohm, Turns Ratio, DLRO (Ductor), Primary Current Injection and FLIR
- Skilled in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving complaints or disputes
- Skilled in establishing and communicating metrics
- Skilled in time management
- Skilled in prioritizing and managing changing priorities
- Skilled in anticipating, identifying, analyzing and resolving conflict and problems
- Ability to read one-line and wiring diagrams
- Ability to teach others how to set up and disseminate information from various types of voltage testing equipment
- Ability to train and teach others the art of troubleshooting and the safe, timely manner of power restoration, including substations, distribution and residential lines
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to listen and understand information verbally and in writing
Minimum Qualifications – (Education, Experience, Certification, & Licensure):
- Associate’s Degree in a related field
- Directly related experience may substitute for education
- Five years directly related experience
- DOL Journeyman Certification preferred
- Valid Texas Class A CDL or ability to obtain within 6 months.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to stand; reach with hands and arms, stoop and kneel
- The employee may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time
- The employee may be required to lift, carry, push, pull or move up to 50 pounds
- The employee may be required to travel
- The employee must be available for call out duty
- The employee will routinely utilize Personal Protective Equipment
- The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions including wet and/or humid conditions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud
- Exempt employees receive a fixed bi-weekly salary to compensate them for all hours worked during each pay period
- This position may be required to work more than 40 hours per week
Pedernales Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation and gender identity.