Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Reports to: Director of Finance & Accounting
Department: Finance and Accounting
Location: Dalton, GA
To maintain complete and accurate financial records within the prescribed system of accounts; to provide support with statistical financial reporting, varied accounting functions, and budgetary processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Eight years of experience in general accounting.
- Utility accounting experience.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
- Background in Rural Utilities Service and Tennessee Valley Authority accounting.
- Maintain a complete financial accounting record system with original and final entries.
- Prepare and post monthly accruals.
- Prepare and post entries from journals to general ledger.
- Prepare or assist with Cooperative, State, and Federal monthly and annual reports and forms.
- Review and analyze various overhead spreads to appropriate accounts.
- Perform various reconciliations and account analysis daily or monthly.
- Perform or assist with multiple bank reconciliations daily or monthly.
- Research and follow through on variances and system or bank adjustments as needed.
- Perform or assist with treasury and banking functions.
- Verify all individual account subsidiaries balance with the general ledger balances monthly.
- Perform or assist with budget to actual variance analysis and reporting.
- Perform or assist in preparation of annual budget.
- Provide leadership and guidance regarding accounting processes.
- Oversee general and distribution plant and accumulated depreciation account activity monthly.
- Assist with and provide information requested for the annual audit.
- Maintain confidentiality of all documentation and information.
- Assist in record retention program in accordance with REA guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Excellent at self-direction and self-motivation in job related tasks.
- Proficient in accurate computations.
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Outlook, and other accounting and reporting software programs.
- Safety: Continually adheres to regulations and ongoing training to maintain a safe work environment for all.
- Operational Excellence: Works smart and efficiently to provide exceptional reliability and is a sound financial and economic steward. Collaborates to develop the best solutions.
- Engagement and Growth: Takes responsibility for own actions, success and growth. Expresses commitment to work hard, with a positive attitude. Demonstrates good judgement and embraces constructive criticism and challenges. Seeks opportunities to learn and share knowledge.
- Integrity: Honest, respectful, kind and trustworthy. Brings a positive influence and values diversity. Eager to own, apologize and fix mistakes promptly and follow through timely on commitments. Maintains confidentiality.
- Teamwork: Provides assistance, information or other support for the team to build or maintain relationships with them.
- Customer Commitment: Puts the convenience of the members first; asks for and values members’ opinions. Provides solutions with a sense of urgency and concern while being present, open and empathetic.
- Community Minded: Desires to make a difference in the communities served by NGEMC.
- Change: Constantly seeks opportunities to develop better services and more efficient processes.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities (some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees). Requires physical ability in reaching, stooping, standing, walking, lifting, must be able to lift small objects with the fingers, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive operations, and defined sedentary work. Visual acuity required with administrative machine operation.
General office environment; requires the flexibility to work irregular hours for assignment completion; requires the ability to work during emergency situations and availability during inclement weather.