Northwest Requirements Utilities (NRU) is seeking an experienced energy attorney to act as the organization’s General Counsel.
The General Counsel will lead the organization’s legal advocacy efforts and play a key role in strategic policy formation, providing legal advice, assessment of legal risk, and strategic legal and policy guidance to the organization on a variety of Northwest public power issues. Examples of priority issues include Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) policy, rates and contracts, carbon emissions regulations and regional salmon recovery efforts. The General Counsel also advises the organization on corporate governance and legal compliance issues.
NRU is a non-profit trade association that represents the interests of BPA Load Following and NT transmission customers that rely on BPA for all or most of their wholesale power and transmission services. NRU currently has 56 members, located in all seven states served by BPA. NRU members include cooperatives, PUDs, municipals, tribal utilities and special districts that range in size from 3 aMW to over 180 aMW of retail load. Combined, NRU members serve over 2,266 aMW of retail load.
The ideal candidate will be ready to be a leader in a small team environment and be able to contribute on day one on a variety of legal and policy issues.
The position is based in NRU’s Portland, Oregon offices with a structured but flexible hybrid in-person/work-from home environment. All NRU employees will be expected to be in the office a minimum of two days per week. The position requires occasional travel and overnight visits out of town.
NRU offers a competitive salary and an exceptional benefit package that includes full medical, dental and vision coverage. Retirement benefits include both 401(k) and a remarkable defined benefit pension program. Relocation compensation may be available.
Please contact NRU’s CEO, Zabyn Towner, directly at email@example.com or 503-351-0485 with questions or to apply to this position.
1. Proactively advocate, both formally and informally, for NRU member interests in a variety of BPA and other regional forums. Formal advocacy includes representation in administrative and court proceedings as appropriate.
2. Develop and maintain excellent business relationships with NRU members, BPA attorneys and other staff, public power attorneys and other staff, and other leaders in the Northwest energy industry.
3. Lead NRU’s participation in BPA Power and Transmission rate cases and tariff terms and conditions proceedings. Draft legal briefs, motions, present oral arguments, and assist expert witnesses in drafting and presenting testimony.
4. Work within a small team environment to develop policy and legal strategies in response to regional proposals affecting BPA and its customers.
5. Ensure NRU complies with applicable laws and regulations including management of internal policies.
6. Regularly communicate with NRU Board of Directors.
7. Keep abreast of legislative and regulatory changes that may affect NRU’s members.
Northwest Requirements Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
• Admitted to and a member in good standing of the Oregon State Bar or admission before commencing work
• A minimum of five years of experience in a law firm, or government or corporate legal department
• Knowledge of research and analysis techniques and application of federal, state and local government laws and regulations
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
• Superior ability to consider legal and policy strategies and risk and provide guidance to the organization
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Experience in energy law, particularly related to policies and proceedings of the Bonneville Power Administration
• Appellate litigation experience, including in proceedings before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
• Experience in administrative law, including in proceedings before the Bonneville Power Administration and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
• Ability to develop and integrate quantitative analysis into legal and policy strategy