The position is an entry-level position into RGEC’s Lineman Apprenticeship Program. Progression into the program is required within six months of becoming a groundman. The primary duties of this position will be to assist line personnel on the ground.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Must demonstrate competencies through assessment and/or job evaluation in order to progress to RGEC’s Lineman Apprenticeship Program within six months of becoming a groundman
• Perform various manual labor type tasks at the work site to assist line personnel (e.g. load and unload supplies and materials, cut brush, clean trucks, dig ditches and assist in preparing materials)
• Observe lineman work and anticipate needs for material and tools
• Prepare materials for use at the work site
• Perform tasks as assigned by line personnel
• Learn duties and tasks through on-the-job training
• Must become familiar with RUS Materials utilized in the construction and maintenance of underground, overhead distribution and transmission lines
• Frame poles in accordance with RUS specifications
• Rig ropes and blocks and become familiar with knot tying
• Gain knowledge of system area in order to perform job efficiently
• Ability to read system maps and staking sheets
• Assist in the proper use and care of all tools and equipment
• Exercise extreme care to protect private property while on premises
• Participate in training programs for job knowledge and technical skill
• Must learn and practice Cooperative’s safety rules and procedures
• Must complete TEEX Introductory Module Courses (1 “Electric Power Fundamentals” and 2 “Principals of Grounding”) within six months of becoming a groundman
• Must be or become certified in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation
• Perform other jobs as needed
Submit a completed Application and Job Specification to the Human Resources Department. Please do not send a resume.
Rio Grande Electric Cooperative, Inc. was chartered under Texas law , July 27, 1945, and has the largest service territory of any electric cooperative in the contiguous United Sates. RGEC serves 18 counties in Texas and 2 counties in New Mexico, which covers approximately 35,000 square miles.
At RGEC, “Owned by Those We Serve” is more than a slogan—it’s the way we do business every day. RGEC is owned by those who receive their electric service from the co-op.