On February 2, 1948, Northeast Missouri Electric Power Cooperative (Northeast Power) was founded by three rural electric cooperatives in northeast Missouri. In 1949, construction began on the South River diesel 7 MW generation plant located on the bank of the Mississippi River. A coal fired steam generation facility of 15 MW capacity was completed in 1952. The diesel plant combined with the steam plant provided Northeast Power with its system's power until the late 1960's. Northeast Power's system is comprised of eight distribution cooperatives with five located in northeast Missouri and three in southeast Iowa. There have been four managers in the history of Northeast Power. Mr. Douglas H. Aeilts has been CEO and General Manager since May 2004.
Northeast Power is a generation and transmission (G&T) electric cooperative and no longer generates power. Northeast Power has an all-power requirements contract with Associated Electric Cooperative Inc. Northeast Power joined with five other G&T cooperatives operating in Missouri to form Associated Electric in 1961. Today, Northeast Power has approximately 908 miles of 69 kV transmission line and 74 miles of 161 kV line.