Are you ready to join an organization where we focus on People First, have fun at work and make a difference in what we do?
Dairyland is proud of our People First culture centered around appreciation, celebrating wins and collaboration. We’ve worked hard to ensure alignment between our culture and our processes and systems, learning and development and rewards and recognition programs.
As a team, we work together to leverage the team’s diverse perspectives, ideas and experiences to deliver nothing less than the best. We are collaborative, transparent and committed to our People and their work experience, growth and professional development.
PURPOSE: With minimal supervision, perform accounting work requiring professional knowledge of theory and practice of recording, classifying, examining and analyzing the data and records of various financial transactions. Apply accounting principles and procedures to evaluate financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements, and ensure appropriate accounting control requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1. Analyze accounting and operational data to provide meaningful management information and reports. Perform monthly close and reconciliation of general ledger, including preparation of journal entries, account analysis and reconciliation, and financial reporting. Ability to perform all accounting functions related to leasing, fuels, inventory, debt, and tax.
2. Be familiar with current accounting procedures and professional pronouncements relevant to the company and the industry. Examine standard accounting documents for completeness and conformance with specific accounting requirements and company policy. Monitor and research new accounting standards to determine impact to the business. Assist in the development of accounting policies and procedures to support new standards.
3. Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with finance and accounting partners, Senior Leadership, and other internal stakeholder groups to understand the business and ensure timely and accurate exchange of information.
4. Manage and maintain internal control processes. Assist management in the design of internal controls as dictated by audit findings and change in business environment.
5. Lead initiatives/projects to drive efficiencies and improvements to the functional area.
6. Lead tax compliance related to sales/use tax and state gross license tax. Perform purchase requisition reviews, engage in tax research, complete required filings in a timely and accurate manner, and function as a subject matter expert to internal customers to support tax compliance.
7. Provide support to internal and external audit functions to ensure audit objectives are met in a timely manner. Lead activities related to the preparation of the annual report.
8. Ensure timely preparation of compliance filings and reports for federal and state agencies as assigned.
9. Perform other duties as assigned
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance. Minimum of five (7) years progressively responsible experience in accounting, with thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures applicable to the utility or similar industry. Advanced degree or CPA preferred. Utility industry experience is desirable. Experience in sales and use tax is preferred. This is an on-site role, located in La Crosse, WI.
Skills: • Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills • Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite; advanced Excel skills • Detail-orientated with demonstrated experience communicating complex issues in a clear and concise manner to all levels of the organization. • Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities, and resources for the benefit of multiple stakeholders and able to adapt to change. • Ability to build strong working relationships with operations and accounting/finance personnel.
We are committed to providing our greatest asset, our People, with as many perks and benefits as possible. Some benefits of working with us include:
- Health & disability benefits (medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability) - Life insurance - Generous 401(k) and Pension Plans - Paid Time Off - Robust Wellness Program - New Flexible Work Program - Tuition Reimbursement - So much more!
Dairyland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, contact our HR Department at 608-788-4000.
Dairyland is proud of its history as a pioneer in rural electrification. The generation and transmission cooperative formed in 1941, bringing light and power to the homes and farms in “America’s Dairyland.” Specifically serving rural communities and countryside, Dairyland continues to ease work conditions and improve quality of life for residents by delivering a safe, reliable supply of energy in its four-state service territory.